It is a long time since I wrote an entry, Atharo as usual are always on my case to write. I have to admit that I like to ruminate on thoughts before I put it to paper. I have learned that this way I can counter the negative and impulsive nature that I have and produce better views regarding a situation. Currently I am toying with the idea that through frequent use of the journal I might temper my nature for the better. Another reason to write more frequent is taken from Jean McNiff and Jack Whiteheads book, All you need to know about Action Research (Sage publications 2006). In Chapter 6 Learning to improve practice, they stress that a journal may present evidence as to personal learning. Well Atharo I will write more frequently.
The following is an account of how my ideas were shaped during the last few weeks.
On 16/08/2007 I had to present an introduction to e-learning and specific Moodle to new lecturers in the FHS. Great! I always enjoy this introduction. In the past I used the introduction to look critically at WebCT and the learning strategies that WebCT offers. We usually agreed that it is rather prescriptive and that there are definite shortcomings regarding the way learning strategies are presented. One shortcoming for instance is the way discussion forums are structured in a single form. Another is the way WebCT treads external environments. You cannot link an external database to WebCT and you cannot post usernames and passwords from WebCT to external database driven applications.
When I reviewed my presentation for 2007 I realized that I do not have a lot of negatives to say regarding Moodle. In fact all my complaints regarding wrongs in WebCT are fixed in Moodle. Suddenly my confidence in knocking a LCMS must change to what is possible to achieve in Moodle. I think I did get it right though. Unfortunately there was something wrong with our Moodle. Div E sent different reports on what is wrong. H said nothing is wrong, A said it is Telkom. On mybroadband.co.za there was a discussion in this regard, but I felt the solution to be lacking, the audience had a negative experience first hand. To fix this impact will not be easy. I still say e-learning is not as easy as pi, just because you have an LCMS does not mean every one will be able to use e-learning as a teaching and learning strategy.
This trouble just strengthens my resolve that I am not going to put my efforts into fighting Div E any more. I will do what I can to change perception in the FHS and work to establish good e-learning practice in the FHS, dialogue with Div E should be from FHS and not an individual – I have not see any change for all my efforts.
On the 07/09/2007 SAAHE FS had a symposium on Educating the health educator. While attending Prof Eli Bitzer’s presentation on ‘Living with ideology in the University’ I realized that my colleagues also have issues with disparities in values in the university and in teaching and learning.
On Monday 10/09/2007 I wrote to Atharo the following.
Athoro
Ek het dit! Dit gaan nie oor hoe goed MEA 153 Online is nie maar wat dit aan die groter prentjie doen
Breaking down e-learning Ideologies and building supportive Idealogies for online learning at the School of Medicine UFS
Setsumi
It is difficult to express the change I experienced in my ideas, but I know that prof Eli Bitzer and his presentation was the catalyst. At present I wait for the book Beyond All Reason: Living with Ideology in the University written by Ronald Barnett, because I know that I have to read.
Up to the presentation my ideas regarding an action research enquiry into e-learning at the FHS focused on how to explain MEA 153 online, the benefits and the processes and my and Atharo’s learning. The presentation prepared me to see a bigger picture. The picture of values, ideologies and ideals in e-learning at the FHS and how to align institutional, faculty and personal values in e-learning to ensure participation based on academic freedom in e-learning.
On 11/09/2007 I started to write a protocol. The introduction focused on Div E and the issues set out in the proposal that Cherie, Anita and I drafted for the establishment of the FHS e-learning committee. Very they-driven fighting to establish a we-driven environment. After Atharo looked at it I realized it does not really reflect the changes in my ideas that were catalyzed by prof Eli Bitzer. I reworked the introduction and feel confident that it presents the issues better – there is still a lot of work to be done but I think the ‘snake’ of ideas is getting better direction.
Between August and September 2007 I read and reflected quite a bit on action research and the process of knowledge creation. I started to write my learning and reflection down in a form of a chapter/article maybe I will include it here when I am finished.
On the 19/09/2007 I had a meeting with Atharo. I am very into reading Jean Mcniff and Jack Whitehead’s book on Action research and finding my epistemological position in AR. I have to refine my AIM in my protocol for a Ph.D. study. From Jean and Jack I have learned that in an action research enquiry that is based on a living theory design it is important to identify your values and to present your claim of learning accordingly, to change your practice to align your practice with your values and to show how you have influence others. My discussion with Atharo was:
Do I present my values in my AIM and do I show my learning, alignment of my practice according to my values and my influence on others?
Or do I investigate my values, the values of the other stakeholders and the values presented by the institution, with the intention of making the values explicit in e-learning praxis and to change the external/exclusive management of e-learning in the FHS to an internal/inclusive management policy that is rooted in the conceptual ideals of the academic programmes at the FHS?
It seems to me and Atharo that the second option will afford a better enquiry environment to represent all stakeholders’ values and to investigate the influence of values for an ideal e-learning praxis in the FHS.
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment