Evidence; I like to fish when I have the opportunity Data source; A photo album of fish my son and I caught at Danabaai.
Knowledge; There is fish in the Southern Cape.
Theory; If you are dillegent, use the right bait and go to the beach at the right tide you may be successful in catching fish in the Southern Cape.
I am currently reading Ronald Barnett’s book Beyond All Reason: Living with Ideology in the University. When I received my Masters degree I thanked my study leaders and made the comment that they helped me to become part of the academic world. Wrong you are, said one, you need to have a Ph.D. to be part of the academic community. My work is academic support, as such I am not allowed to participate in the Faculty Board meetings, I may attend, read the minutes and even submit requests that the Faculty Board meeting may discus and present a decision on, but I do not have a voice in the meetings. In 2007 a colleague proposed that I become an assistant module leader – yes by this time I am fully aware that I am not an academic so it does not bother that I am not allowed to be a module leader.
I find comfort in Barnett’s book – the academic community is an ideology, it’s a myth. I am part of the real world; my work is part of the real world, although ideology separates me from the academic community I am part of the higher education environment. In this environment there are academics and academic support staff all contributing to the real world of educating the students that are partners in our school and faculty. I believe that the academic community does not exist with the strong boundary that it is presented with in my specific situation.
Suddenly I see the potential in Action Research as MicNiff and Whitehead presents. My work as my practice presents the opportune environment to study, to generate knowledge about and to theorize on. My living educational theory! Thanks Jean & Jack!
Are knowledge and theory that is created by an academic support officer of a lesser type than knowledge and theory that are created by an academic? Does empiric research offer better knowledge and theory than action research? Who will present judgment? Before you do a last question; Are research not judged on rigorous and systematic presentation of evidence?
Evidence may be a statistical analysis of a measurement regarding the level of drugs in the bloodstream after a specific time for a specific dosage or evidence may be contribution to new practice. From the evidence a knowledge claim is presented and you may theorize on the knowledge claim The study design will validate the type of evidence presented.
No comments:
Post a Comment